Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid, and Manganese oxide is a basic oxide. Let us learn how hydrochloric acid reacts with manganese oxide and generates products.
Bạn đang xem: mgo hcl
Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is generally occurring as a solution of hydrogen chloride in water. Manganese oxide consists of Mg2+ and O2- ions held by an ionic bond in a lattice. As the oxide ions are strongly bonded in the lattice, it appears as a mild basic oxide.
In this article, we will discuss how these two important chemicals react with each other and discuss some important questions.
What is the product of HCl and MgO?
HCl and MgO are reacted vĩ đại size manganese chloride and water. The reaction equation is:
2HCl + MgO = MgCl2 + H2O
What type of reaction is HCl + MgO?
The reaction is an acid-base neutralization type of reaction. HCl and MgO are strong acids and basic oxides, respectively.
How vĩ đại balance HCl + MgO?
Find the number of elements present in both sides of the reaction HCl + MgO = MgCl2 + H2O
- Reactant side: 1 H, 1 Cl, 1 Mg, 1 O
- Product side: 2H, 2 Cl, 1 Mg, 1 O
Observe how the number of elements can be matched on both sides. We can see if we increase the one molecule of HCl on the reactant side, the number of elements will be matched. Hence, the balanced equation will be:
2HCl + MgO = MgCl2 + H2O
HCl + MgO titration
- Conical flask
- Volumetric flask
- A phenolphthalein indicator is used in this reaction. It turns pink-violet in presence of the base and turns colourless in presence of acid.
- Magnesium oxide is not very soluble in water and is difficult vĩ đại titrate directly. But Its mass can be determined by using a ‘back titration‘ method.
- A similar known concentration solution of HCl and NaOH is prepared.
- The burette is loaded with the prepared NaOH solution.
- In a conical flask, an unknown amount of magnesium oxide was dissolved entirely in an excess amount of prepared hydrochloric acid.
- Two drops of Phenolphthalein are added vĩ đại the flask.
- The NaOH solution from the burette is allowed vĩ đại be added vĩ đại the conical flask. The appearance of a pink-violet colour confirms the endpoint.
- The amount of excess HCl present in the flask is calculated from the amount of NaOH used using the VHClSHCl=VNaOHSNaOH formula (V=volume, S=concentration).
- Therefore, the amount of HCl required for the neutralization of MgO can be calculated via back calculation.
HCl + MgO net ionic equation
The net ionic equation of HCl and MgO is: 2H++2Cl– + Mg2++O2- = Mg2++2Cl– + H++OH–
HCl + MgO conjugate pairs
The conjugate pair of HCl is Cl–. MgO does not have a conjugate pair as oxide, and O2- has no proton, so sánh it has no conjugate base.
HCl and MgO intermolecular forces
As intermolecular forces, the dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces are present in the HCl and MgO. Between the two, the dipole-dipole forces are stronger.
HCl + MgO reaction enthalpy
The reaction enthalpy of the HCl + MgO reaction is −57.33 kJmol−1, Which is due vĩ đại the very high enthalpy of hydration of Mg2+ion.
Is HCl + MgO a buffer solution?
As HCl is a strong acid, it can not size a buffer solution.
Is HCl + MgO a complete reaction?
HCl + MgO is a complete reaction and produces MgCl2 salt and water upon completion. There will be no excess HCl or MgO present after completion if equimolar HCl and MgO are used.
Is HCl + MgO an exothermic or endothermic reaction?
HCl + MgO is an exothermic reaction. The reaction enthalpy of this reaction is −57.33 kJmol−1. As the reaction enthalpy is negative, it releases heat during the reaction, and hence, it is exothermic in nature.
Is HCl + MgO a redox reaction?
HCl + MgO is not a redox reaction. There is no change in the oxidation state of the ions before and after the reaction.
Is HCl + MgO a precipitation reaction?
HCl + MgO is not a precipitation reaction, as no products precipitate out during the reaction.
Is HCl + MgO reversible or irreversible reaction?
HCl + MgO is an irreversible reaction. Because once MgCl2 and water are formed, we can not get back HCl and MgO.
Is HCl + MgO displacement reaction?
HCl + MgO is a double displacement type of reaction. Here O2- gets replaced by Cl– vĩ đại size the MgCl2 salt and water as the product.
Hydrochloric acid (HCl) and manganese oxide (MgO) reacts vĩ đại size manganese chloride (MgCl2) and water. It is an acid-base neutralization type of reaction. MgCl2 can be absorbed very easily by our body toàn thân and can be a source of manganese supplement.